WARNING: We’ve scheduled some maintenance to this service between 5pm Friday 22 June and 8am Monday 25 June 2018 (AEST). During this time you may experience interruptions while using this service.

We’ve made it easier to register a business online. With this new service, you can apply for key business registrations using one form. Even though it’s a Beta service, the registrations you apply for are real.

Who can use this service?

The Business registration service is currently available for:

Not sure if you want to use it? You can use the Australian Business Register (ABR) website to apply for business name, ABN, and tax registrations and the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) website to register a company.

We need your help! If you use this service, please give us your feedback so we can make it even better!

Business registration


Help topics


Business Registration Service

The Australian Government Business Registration Public Beta service combines a number of key government business and tax registration forms in one place.

We have forms for new businesses, existing businesses returning to apply for tax registrations or businesses who simply need an Administrator AUSkey login. See below for more details:
  • New business

    Use the New business form if you need a new Australian Business Number (ABN). You can apply here for your ABN together with any of the following registrations:

    • Business name*
    • Goods and Services Tax (GST)
    • Australian company
    • Pay as You Go (PAYG) withholding
    • Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)
    • Luxury Car Tax (LCT)
    • Fuel Tax Credits (FTC)
    • Wine Equalisation Tax (WET)
    • Administrator AUSkey.

    *You can also apply for business name on its own if you:

    • already have an ABN
    • already have an ABN reference number
    • operate only on Christmas or Cocos Island
    • apply as a joint venture.
  • Apply for tax registrations

    Use the Apply for tax registrations form if you already have an ABN, but need to apply for one or more tax registration.

    You can use your AUSkey or MyGov login (attached to your ABN) to apply for GST, PAYG withholding, FBT, LCT, FTC and WET.

  • Apply for AUSkey login

    Use the Apply for AUSkey login form if you already have an ABN and you either:

    • need an administrator AUSkey for yourself, or
    • already have an administrator AUSkey, but want to apply for additional AUSkeys for your business associates.

What is a Public Beta website?

A public beta website is typically a real working website or service in its final testing stage. A beta is used to receive public feedback to help improve the service.

Please note: Even though the Business Registration Service is in beta, the registrations you apply for are real!

So if you use the Business Registration Service, please give us your feedback.

Can I register Norfolk Island businesses here?

Yes. Norfolk Island businesses can use the New business form to apply for the following business registrations:

  • ABN
  • Business name
  • Australian company – if operating on the Australian mainland
  • PAYG withholding
  • FBT
  • AUSKey

Norfolk Island businesses do not need to register for GST, LCT, FTC or WET.

Norfolk Island companies are registered with the Norfolk Island Registry.

However, if your Norfolk Island company is or will be operating on the Australian mainland, you'll need to register as a foreign company with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).

Find out about registering foreign companies on the ASIC website.

Can I update my details or apply for renewals here?

Not at the moment. To update or renew your registrations you'll need to refer to the correspondence you receive confirming your registration.

If you can't find your correspondence, visit the following agency websites to:

Can I apply here for state licences or permits?

No. You'll still need to find and apply for your business licences and permits on the Australian Business Licence & Information Service (ABLIS) website.

Where do I go for help?

If you have a question about the form or how your registrations are progressing, contact on 13 28 46

Need more help? Contact us via or call 13 28 46.